Kloovenburg Grenache 2020

Tasting Notes

Winery: Kloovenberg
Varietal: Grenache
SKU: KLOGRENOI2020 Categories: ,
Bottle Size: 750 ml
Kloovenburg Grenache 2020



93 pts Tim Atkin MW 2021

Kloovenburg produces some of the best value reds in the Swartland. This lightly wooded Grenache is a case in point – a spicy, floral, sappy red with underlying minerality, some stony grip and raspberry and pomegranate fruit. 2022-27

4 ½ Stars 2022 Platter’s South African Wine Guide

The cellar’s prime red contribution to the Swartland new wave. Bright & pure fruited, upbeat 20 (90 pts) has enticing strawberry fragrance, subtle pepper top note, is lightly but effectively structured with 14.7% alcohol well-hidden.

Winemaker Notes

All grapes are handpicked during the early morning hours and then cooled overnight in a temperature-controlled room at 5 °C. 70% of these grapes are then crushed and destemmed, whilst the remaining 30% are whole bunch fermented using natural yeasts. Extraction is obtained by light punch downs twice a day. Following fermentation, the wine is left on the skins for another seven days and then pressed to old oak barrels. Malolactic fermentation is completed in the barrel. The wine is then racked from the lees and given a low dose of sulphur. The wine spends a total of 10 months in the barrel before it is bottled, unfined and unfiltered.

The Kloovenburg Grenache Noir has aromas of dark cherries, pomegranate and dried herbs. The palate is medium-bodied, shows good structure and fruit purity.

Share This Wine


There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Kloovenburg Grenache 2020”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *