Matetic Corralillo Chardonnay 2018

Tasting Notes

Winery: Matetic
Varietal: Chardonnay
SKU: CORCHA2018 Categories: ,
Bottle Size: 750 ml
Matetic Corralillo Chardonnay 2018

$15.99

Awards/Reviews

Winemaker Notes

 

The grapes for Corralillo Chardonnay come from the northern slope (with greater sun exposure) of the Rosario Valley, which has a coastal climate, making it ideal for this variety as it aids in a slow ripening that creates fresh acidity and good concentration of aromas and flavors. The soils of the vineyard have a granitic-sandy texture with slopes that have more clay and granite in varying amounts as it deepens. Each clonal selection (95, 76, and 130) expresses different characteristics thanks to the different sun exposures on the fruit, with more tropical notes from the bunches more exposed to the sun and mineral notes and excellent acidity on those that are more protected within the canopy. The natural yields are about 1.5 kg per plant.

Harvest was performed by hand, and the grapes then moved to a cold chamber to minimize the oxidation of the aromas and flavors. Next there was a selection of bunches and the press was loaded with whole clusters. The pressing was done with low pressure and few rotations for a gentle, traditional pressing. 70% of the must fermented in French oak barrels, and the remaining 30% fermented in stainless steel. Periodic stirrings occurred with movement of the ine lees. A small portion of malolactic fermentation (10%) added creaminess, balance, and depth to the palate.
The wine aged for 10 months on its lees, with 70% in French oak barrels and the remaining 30% in stainless steel tanks.

Pale yellow in color, this Chardonnay has notes of citrus and tropical fruits, white flowers, and a hint of minerality. On the palate the wine is smooth and balanced with precise acidity that delivers a long, complex, and fresh finish. The long finish is a classic expression of Chardonnay,
showing the coastal climate of our vineyards.

Share This Wine

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Matetic Corralillo Chardonnay 2018”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *